Prep Time: 10mins, Cook Time: 30mins. Total Time: 40mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced in ¼” thick rounds
- 1 rib of celery, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped fine
- 1 heaping teaspoon mild curry powder
- 2 cups dry red lentils
- 1 bay leaf, Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4-6 cups of vegetable stock
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add vegetables and sauté 5 minutes, until onion is translucent. Add curry powder, and stir for one minute. Add lentils, bay leaf and two large pinches of salt, along with 4 cups of broth.
Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 30 minutes, until lentils are very soft. Stir occasionally, adding more water/broth if necessary. Adjust seasoning if needed (cook an additional 5 minutes if you add more salt.) Remove bay leaf and serve.